Should I build my own website?
There are popular DIY site builder platforms out there that will allow you to build your own website, but before you rush out and get cracking, consider the following:
- Learning the ropes can be very time consuming, e.g. getting an element to line up with another element can make the hours slip by very quickly. Time is valuable, and consider spending it on your core business.
- Support for DIY websites will be limited, and the options for improving or customising your site will be limited. As your company grows, instead of gradually expanding your site, you will be faced, at some point, with a total rebuild.
- Your DIY site will be built using a template also used by thousands of other websites, and as such, will not have a unique look and feel.
- DIY website hosting is often included free of charge in the site builder package, but you get what you pay for. These hosting platforms famously suffer from extended, unexplained outages, and are usually crowded with other free sites. They often load slowly. This results in a poor user experience. Slow sites frustrate visitors are penalised by Google. Upgrading your hosting on these packages can be expensive.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO) is very important if you want your site to be found on search engines. Your SEO options on a DIY website will be limited, and your access to some important in-site analytics will only be granted at additional cost.
All of the above can reflect badly on a company’s professional image. We’ve had many calls from frustrated owners of DIY websites. You don’t have to spend a fortune on your new website, but get it done by a professional. This will ensure that you get a unique site that is scalable, stable and well supported, so you can get on with doing what it is that you do.
Keeping it simple
Starting off with a 15-page website and all the bells and whistles is not the best solution for every business. In fact, keeping it simple is most often the best approach to follow when purchasing your first website.
Unless you are a well-established business with an existing website you need to revamp or upgrade, or you have an established business and know exactly what you need your website to do for you, starting small and having your site grow with your business, is the way to go.
Then again, if you need something more complex, we can certainly help you with that too.
We’ve added some of our latest projects here. Remember that we build websites to your specifications and requirements.
5 Page website – R6,510
10 Page website – R11,718
15 Page website – R14,648
Include an online shop: R5208
*This is a general guideline and the final quotation may be more or less than stated above, depending on the functionality and complexity required.
All websites are fully responsive (works on all sizes of screens) and have a content management system (allows the site owner to edit content). Prices exclude logo design or custom graphic design and are valid until 31 March 2023.
If your product needs to be sold online, Dumel will guide you through the entire process; from the development of the product catalogue and setting up the shopping cart, to choosing your payment gateway service provider.
WordPress and Shopify are arguably the leaders in the field of accessible and affordable e-commerce solutions. We will help you understand the various platforms so that it will be possible for you to choose the one that best suits your needs and budget. Dumel is experienced in setting up shopping solutions using either WordPress or Shopify.
Graphic design and branding
Whether you need an elaborate cutting edge design or a clean and professional look, we have the right person for the job. Contact us for all your graphic design and branding design needs.
Serious about security
Dumel is also serious about the security of data transmitted and accessed online. A combination of password protection, data encryption and digital certificates endorsed by reputable certificate authorities such as Thawte, ensures that the client’s data is protected at all times.